On December 29th, we are taking a break from gathering at the church, giving our hard-working volunteers a break, and encouraging South to gather in homes with families and friends to participate in a Living Room Liturgy. You can access the service by clicking the button below. There will also be DVDs available for pick-up at the Welcome Desk starting Dec. 22nd.
From Pastor Larry Boatright:
On Dec. 29th, we will not be having our traditional Sunday morning gatherings. Instead, we will have two options for people:
1. Meet in homes with your family, small group, neighbors, and/or friends to participate in a special video worship gathering with Larry and Aaron leading it to help us end 2019 well and prepare for 2020. This video will be available to watch online or you can pick up a DVD copy on Sunday, Dec. 22nd.
2. For those who cannot view this at home or would prefer to gather with others at the church, we are going to have a breakfast and small worship gathering in our Student Center at 10:45am on Dec. 29th.
There are several reasons behind this decision:
• December is an incredibly busy month for our staff and volunteers, with multiple outreach events, regular weekend gatherings (and all of the prep that entails in this season), and Christmas Eve gatherings, with hundreds of volunteer slots needed to be filled.
• We want to encourage our community to lean into our value of Wholeness by staying home and worshipping as a group of family and/or friends.
• The last weekend of the year is typically a low-attendance Sunday, partially because many are still traveling for the holidays and families choose to stay home together before starting back to school.
• It has historically been difficult to fill volunteer slots the last weekend of the year, especially in Creative Arts and Kids Ministry.
• We have many volunteers who serve multiple times a month and also take on an additional load in December. We want to give them a time to refresh before we start back up in the first week of January.
• Our staff pushes very hard the entire month – often spending many nights and weekends out away from their families. I want them to take a week after this crazy push to spend with their families and not have to worry about programming on Dec 29th. For many of us who are involved with weekend programming, the break is interrupted with preparing for that Sunday.